What Is A Double Double In Basketball? Is it common?
If you’re a basketball fan, you’ve probably heard of what is a double double in basketball. A double-double isn’t all that uncommon; it’s one of the most popular stat lines for players looking to prove their worth.
In fact, the 2019-20 NBA season saw a whopping 485 double-doubles recorded by players. This type of double-double is especially common for power forwards and centers, as they’re usually the ones crashing the boards.
However, a points-assists double-double is also quite common, often seen among point guards and shooting guards. A triple-double is another common stat line in basketball. It’s essentially a double-double plus one more category, typically points, assists, or rebounds.
Greatest Double-Double Performances of All-Time
The double-double is one of the most impressive individual performances. A double-double is when a player accumulates double-digit numbers in two of the five statistical categories. Throughout the history of the game. Here are some of the greatest double-double performances of all time.
- Wilt Chamberlain: Chamberlain is the all-time leader in double-doubles with an incredible 974. and He was a dominant force on the court and his double-doubles were always impressive. He set the NBA record for most double-doubles.
- Oscar Robertson: “The Big O” is second all-time in double-doubles with 181. He was one of the most versatile players in the history of the game. He was the first player to average a triple-double in a season and he accomplished this feat twice.
- Russell Westbrook: Westbrook has been one of the most dominant players in the NBA over the past decade and he is third all-time in double-doubles with 175. and He also set the all-time record for most consecutive triple-doubles with 9 in 2016-17.
- Magic Johnson: Johnson is fourth all-time in double-doubles with 138. He was one of the greatest players of all time and was known for his impressive passing. He was the first player to average a triple-double in the playoffs and he did it twice, in 1981 and 1991.
- LeBron James: James is fifth all-time in double-doubles with 126. He has been one of the most dominant players in the game since he entered the league and his double-doubles are always impressive. He set the all-time record for most triple-doubles in a season with 31 in 2009-10.
Who has the most double-doubles in NBA history?
The NBA has a long and glorious history of legendary players. Some have set records for their incredible skills, while others have gone down in history for their incredible resilience. One of the most impressive feats in the double-double.
Throughout the NBA’s history, many players have come close to achieving double-doubles. The former Utah Jazz power forward is the all-time leader in double-doubles.
Malone’s dominance in the double-double category is not likely to be broken anytime soon. The player in second place is Wilt Chamberlain with 824 double-doubles. the next closest player is Jason Kidd with 572 double-doubles.
What was the longest double-double streak?
The longest double-double streak in NBA history belongs to Los Angeles Lakers great, Wilt Chamberlain. The streak started in December of 1961, Chamberlain recorded an incredible 31 consecutive double-doubles, and which is still an NBA record.
The streak began on December 4th, 1961, and ended in 1962. During this period, Chamberlain averaged an astonishing 35.2 points. To put this in perspective, meaning that Chamberlain was on an even more impressive pace during his streak.
Beyond the mind-boggling statistics, the streak itself was a testament to Chamberlain’s dominance. The streak was eventually snapped on March 8th, 1962 when Chamberlain was held to just 14 points and 14 rebounds in a game against the Cincinnati Royals.
Who was the youngest player to get a double-double?
The youngest player to get a double-double is Oklahoma City Thunder guard Darius Bazley, who achieved the feat at the age of 19 years and 28 days.
Bazley accomplished the feat during the 2019–20 NBA season against the Minnesota Timberwolves in January 2020. These categories are usually points, rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals.
Despite his youth and relative inexperience. On January 8th, 2020, Bazley recorded 11 points and 11 rebounds. Bazley is a force on the court, with the ability to play both forward positions.
Who was the oldest player to get a double-double?
The oldest player to get a double-double is one of the most impressive records in basketball. A double-double is when a player accumulates double-digit numbers in two of the major statistical categories, usually points, and rebounds. It is a rare feat to achieve and requires a great deal of skill.
The oldest player to get a double-double is none other than Robert Parish. He accomplished this feat in the season finale of the 1996-1997 season. Parish had a total of 18 points e.
Parish was an incredible player throughout his career, and he was the anchor of the 1980’s Boston Celtics dynasty. He was an incredibly consistent player. Parish’s double-double feat is a testament to his skill and longevity. And He was a dominant force in the NBA for nearly 20 years.
What is the most blocks in a NBA game?
- The most blocks in a single NBA game was set by Manute Bol, a Sudanese-born American basketball player who was 7 feet 7 inches tall. On April 11, 1986, Bol blocked an astonishing 10 shots against the Detroit Pistons.
- Blocks are defensive statistic that is recorded when a defensive player deflects a shot taken by an opponent. It is a measure of a player’s ability to stop the offensive player from scoring.
- Blocks can also be seen as a measure of a player’s ability to anticipate the opponent’s next move and get in the way of the shot. and This is why Manute Bol was able to set the record for most blocks in an NBA game.
- Other players have come close to Manute Bol’s record. On March 14, 2000, Theo Ratliff blocked nine shots against the Denver Nuggets. And on April 19, 2010, Marcus Camby blocked eight shots against the Dallas Mavericks.
- Despite these impressive performances, Manute Bol still holds the record for most blocks in an NBA game. He is a testament to the importance of defense.
What’s the most steals in a NBA game?
✔ The most steals in a single NBA game was set by Chris Paul in 2008. And He had 11 steals in a game against the San Antonio Spurs.
✔ The record of 11 steals in a game has only been achieved by three players in NBA history. In addition to Paul and Blaylock, Alvin Robertson also achieved 11 steals in a game in 1986.
✔ Paul’s 11 steals in a game ties him for the record for most steals in a half with Blaylock and Robertson. All three achieved seven steals in a half.
✔ The most steals in a season are held by Alvin Robertson. He had an incredible 301 steals during the 1985-86 season.
✔ Michael Jordan and Gary Payton are the only two players to have recorded 300 and more steals in a single season since Robertson.
✔ Jordan’s career-high for steals was 246 in the 1986-87 season, And Payton reached 300 steals in the 1995-96 season.
✔ The most steals in a career is held by John Stockton. He has 3265 steals over his 19-year career with the Utah Jazz.
What’s the highest triple-double?
The highest triple-double history is held by Russell Westbrook. This remarkable performance stands as the highest triple-double in league history and is a testament to Westbrook’s incredible skill and athleticism.
Who has the fastest triple-double in NBA history?
The fastest triple-double in NBA history belongs to Russell Westbrook. On April 9, 2017, And Westbrook set the record for the fastest triple-double.